Old 09-22-05, 08:39 PM
patc
Dubito ergo sum.

Bikes: Bessie.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got a puppy yesterday! 10 week old Beagle, named Brian. We are completely car-free, so transport of the new family member was a concern. (We also have two cats, a leopard gecko, and a mystery rodent, so these concerns aren't new).

In some cases - such as the first ride home - I will ask for a ride from friends. While this leave a slightly bitter taste in my mouth, I consider it a pragmatic approach to our car-centric cities. I don't think I'll go to hell for getting a car ride in exchange for dinner once every few years.

In the long run we have plenty of options:
- our cabs will take cats and small dogs if they are in carriers and you specify a pet when you call
- there is also a "pet taxi" service in Ottawa
- as others suggested, I intend to use a trailer in the long run (see note below)
- our vet is close enough for a dog to walk it (yes, vet location was part of our house purchase decision!)

Note on trailers: I have a Wike flatbed, and our dog breed selection was limited to breeds that, as adults, would fit an a carier which, in turn, would fit on the flatbed. Actually the trailer is huge, so weight became more the issue. Wike also makes a dog-trailer.

Pets and being car-free can work just fine.