Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan Feetz
Calamari!, Hoe gaat het Jonge?
Just as dangerous because of personal experience. Recently I was forced into traffic on PCH by a rider wearing ear buds who did not hear my "on your left" call out. I called out three times, slowed down and startled her out of her zombie-like trance. When she took her hand off the bars to remove the ear bud, she nearly ran into me and said: "Pardon Me?"........what a dombo!
Ik ben het met u!

I encountered a rider just like that on my commute home yesterday. She was going slow in the middle of the bike lane, with ear buds stuck in her ears. I called "On your left" out loud twice. She moved slightly to the right, so assuming she heard me, I started to overtake her on the left. Then all of a sudden, she swerved to the left. I got almost sandwiched between her and the curb (this bike lane is on the left side of the road, and to its left is a median strip separated by a concrete block).

Glad I had enough power left to accelerate and get myself out of there in time...

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)