Old 09-20-13, 02:39 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I'd like to start with skidding.
Why? After all, I'm the bloke who uses the brakes all the time.
Well, I've just built a bike primarily to learn how to do just that as well as track stands (my medical issues make that one a bit more long term)

Skids.
How?
I've seen a lot of videos that give you fluff all information and generally show you hanging the family jewels over the headstem. Alright for some, not this little black duck. If you watch videos of people who ride really well, you'll notice the bum come off the saddle and the rear wheel stop. Similar to what is described in this video from our friends at Pure Fix (with the really pretty lady narrating ... not that I noticed).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQu1rNs0an0

This is one of the better videos I've found in my travels, but I get bored with too much dudespeak and repetition of stuff I know I'm not going to buy into, so if someone can suggest something else, please do so.

I've also observed (and read) that you start by straightening the rear leg to lift you off the saddle. I've tried that and while easy enough, seems to limit you to gravity on the back pedal and leg pressure pulling up on the front. That video shows the rider with both legs bent and I'd imagine that this would give you more force with the rear leg because you're using those muscles rather than just standing on the pedal. Am I right or am I overthinking stuff again?

Now for the practice bit. For many of you youngsters, just seeing a technique then going out and doing it is easy. For us of more settled years, learning takes more time. Does anyone have a practical breakdown of how to ease into skidding? Or is that overthinking it again?

The discussion is over to you.

For the novices, if you stay seated on the saddle and are quite strong, you CAN stuff up your rear hub, guess how I know this.