View Single Post
Old 09-20-13, 12:00 PM
fstshrk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bikedoofus
Thank you for your answer but I am confused - you say you can't tell the difference between them but the TRP is as good if not better. What do you mean?
They are very close. The pads that the TRP CX8.4 came with are a bit more aggressive and have more initial bite.
I switched from Textro cantilevers to TRP CX8.4 on my commuter because I have to go down two steep grades on my way to work and I hated the lack of feel/power on the cantilevers.
If you have a bike equipped with canti-s, in my mind, switching to TRP CX series is a no brainer. Although they recommend to use the CX9 with Shimano Ultegra/Dura-Ace levers, I went with the CX8.4 since they have a bit less mechanical advantage and hence more modulation. You can call TRP and talk to them about what's right for you. And really, don't listen to some of the people on this thread that are basing their opinions on a bike ride they did in the 1950s ;-)

So, in summary, TRP CX8.4 is equal for me the the brakes on my Roubaix SL2. TRP CX.9 has more power but less modulation. If you are riding in the wet, I would use Kool Stop Salmon or dual compound pads.