Thread: Neck pain
View Single Post
Old 09-23-05, 08:15 AM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You realize that the neck pain also can be dangerous? If you are hyper extending your neck to see up because of your position on the bike, a large bump can cause damage to your spinal column.

This is one of the complaints I have about stupid "threadless" forks. Too many people set their bikes up to look like pro bikes ridden by 20 year olds instead of in a practical manner for REAL(tm) riders.

Needless to say, I set up my bike with a couple of inches of spacers to raise the stem and then use a road stem upside down to get the bars up to between one and two inches below the saddle WHERE THE BARS BELONG.

It is also important to note that using long stems that stretch you out on the bike also pulls your head down.

On my cross bikes I sit up like on a touring bike. On my road bikes I can actually ride on the drops without too much discomfort for long periods of time.

Now I admit that my bikes don't look like the Pro bikes but then I'm not riding at 32+ mph and require the streamlining either.