Old 09-22-13, 11:13 PM
Bjforrestal

Bikes: Trek 520, Peugeot PX-10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any bike will do?

The ideal commuting bike is what you finally end up deciding on. Many variables, the most obvious IMO are the distance of the commute, your luggage requirements, your personal preference, and budget. I personally have never bought a new bike for commuting. First one was a Novara randonee I bought from a friend at work. I was lucky because it was the ideal commuter for my 25 mi Rt commute. The only change I made I that bike were putting specialized armadillos and a brooks saddle on it. This doesn't happen normally. Some buddies of mine have been through quite a few setups before they finally were happy. Sadly the randonee was stolen, and I did lust after another bike, the trek 520. I got insurance $ for the randonee and bought a 05 trek 520 off Craigslist I still commute on today. Changes to this bike was switched from messenger bag to rack and panniers, and currently have a brooks saddle on it as well. My commute has changed a bit, shorter by 5 miles a day but much hillier. I will be changing the gearing eventually and installing birifters(Barcons work great just love the action of a good birifter and the fact I don't have to move my hands) oh yeah I have a really loud brass bell, and lights. Still no fenders but ill be adding them soon.
My point is this; yes, you will lust over other bikes. Won't make your commute much different unless you're trying to commute 30 mi rt on a beach cruiser or something. You'll quickly find the bike style that's right for you and then lust over similar style bikes that won't make much of a difference in your actual commute. The upgrades and customization will enhance your commute much more.