View Single Post
Old 09-23-13, 12:23 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Kukula
I live in the Catskills and my parents live near King of Prussia PA. I have been contemplating a ride to my parents' place!
The ACA route from Port Jervis, NY through the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area and then down the river to Lamberville is quite nice. I have done that to Philly in three days the last two springs. No need to stealth camp. You can camp at Worthington State Forest on Old Mine Rd. and in Upped Black Eddy, across from Milford, NJ. From there, you can easily make it to the KofP area the next day

These were taken between Matamoras, PA and Milford, NJ during this spring's ride:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davez20...7633368316419/

I skipped Worthington this year and instead camped at Camp Taylor near Columbia, NJ. Right next to Camp Taylor is the Lakota Wolf Preserve. Took the tour of the preserve the next morning and then rode down to Columbia on NJ 94

Going through the DWGNRA is fabulous. At the right times of year, the traffic is extremely light. There are a good number of bears in the area, so stealth camping poses some issues. That is the reason you will see bear-proof trash cans in some areas and why Worthingon has a bear locker in one of the group site.

The route along the river south of Portland, PA is also extremely nice. It gets better south of Belvidere until Phillipsburg. I ride in Hunterdon and Warren Counties several times a year. In August I did a loop ride out Frenchtown that icnluded the stretch between Belivdere and Phillipsburg. In that stretch we saw fewer than 10 moving vehicles. Once you get south of Phillipsburg, it gets nice again until Milford. From Milford to Frenchtown you have some traffic. At Frenchtown, you can pick up the D&R feeder canal trail to L'Ville.

Send me a PM if you have any questions.