Old 09-23-13, 11:26 PM
lblando

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks very much for all the advice. I will try to address some of the questions and provide a short update.

Yes, I will be trying both two wheeled and three wheeled recumbents. Starting tomorrow, as a matter of fact (Bacchetta Giro to begin). Will also try other types (e.g. Lightning, HP Velotechnik, Catrike, and possibly others). I will post my first impressions.

Have two more questions, for which you may have opinions or answers:
(a) The neck. Everybody (almost) that I read claims that the recumbents are perfect to alleviate the pain that you get in the neck on an upright, on account of having to lift the head up constantly to look ahead, while the riding position would have you looking diagonally to the floor if you wanted to keep your head aligned with the direction of your spine (don't know how best to explain this, but I hope you get the point). However...If you look at some of the recumbent designs, in particular those of the more "advanced", "faster", "sportier" (expensive) ones, you notice that the back is very much reclined, as if you were lying on the couch...and yet you have to look forward, which seems as if it would require you to "tuck your chin into your chest". So how can that be any better than the situation of the upright DFs? Seems equally as painful, unless I am missing something. Now, if you truly wanted to keep your neck "aligned", then you need a recumbent with as upright a seat as you can get....but I read those are the slowest ones, and the ones that are the hardest to climb on (as they apparently reduce the power that you can generate, which I guess makes sense).

(B) FWD. I've learned (finally), what MBB stands for...and apparently there are some people who swear by it, and some who don't like it. A bit of a passion I've detected. And yet, it is an important variable for me as it appears that if you can (1) stand the slight movement of the BB without hurting your knees, and (2) can get used to handling a FWD, the fact that the chain is shorter etc makes those designs better for climbing and speed (at the same level of effort).

Do I have my understanding right on these two points? Once I clarify my education on those, I will have to move to OSS/USS, then to shock absorber/no shock absorber, etc.

But yes, I will be riding them to make sure. All this is for educational purposes.
@downtube42: my DF is well fitted. It does have an aggressive posture, but not too much. The seat and handlebars are at the right height, etc. Please do not get me wrong, I do not feel much pain when riding the DF, but it is certainly not "relaxing" I should say. Let me give you an example... the other day, coming from work, I decided to "take it easy" (I usually push myself so I can exercise, and then take a shower at work/home when I arrive). So when "taking it easy", I rode 16 of the 20 miles with no hands, basically. Still made decent speed, but I threw caution to the wind and ignored air resistance, going light over small rocks, and any of that. And you know what, I loved it........ And that is when I started thinking of recumbents.... What if I could ride sort of that way all the time, and still be using the equipment the way it was designed, and still doing decent speeds and decent exercise, while enjoying the ride, the scenery, etc. I know, sounds stupid, but that's the honest motivation :-)

Now onto your specific questions:
- How long are your legs? ---> 32.5 inches, Barefoot, from the floor to the base of my pelvis, using the "hold a book between your legs until you hit bone technique"). No idea if that is the measurement you need. I ride a 52inch Fuji SST 2.0 LE and that is the right size, maybe even a "tad" small for me.

- Do you want fenders? ---> No, I'd rather keep it open so I get the fastest one possible

- Is transporting the bike on a car/plane/train going to happen often? ---> Car yes, the other two no.

- How much storage space do you have? ---> I have an SUV with a hitch at the back, and a roof rack. I have a garage I guess

- How reclined a seat will you like? ---> Well... see above... Not really sure. Let me put it this way... I want as much comfort as needed to not ache on long rides, *but no more*. In other words, "as reclined as possible so I can go fast and climb easy" as long as the "not aching, healthy, comfortable riding" condition before is met. Sorry I cannot be more specific.

- 'bents with two wheel sizes will require you to carry two tubes, and two tires if you're inclined to be prepared for all eventualities. ---> Will definitely want to carry two tubes. I don't carry tires now... should I? (did I mention I am new at biking in general

Thanks again.
Luis