Old 09-26-13, 10:46 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Quinn8it
A lot of people went into FGF new to Track Racing and got their feelings hurt by the less than fuzzy environment... some of us wiped the tears away and did what we were told- and became much better bike racers because of it.

the reason there is a thread on another forum about how our community can preserve this priceless resource- is because of the key members who fought to keep the site focused, on topic and relevant to our sport.

i'd say we owe those key members a thank you
No one is questioning that FGF was and still is a good resource. It wasn't the message, it was the delivery. As the saying goes, "You'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."

In 2010, I watched as a newbie who said that he was an ex NFL player come to the site and express interest in sprinting. He wasn't bragging. I think people quizzed him enough till he mentioned it. Initially he just led with the fact that he was familiar with weight training at very high levels (which piqued the ears of certain members). The regulars gave him the business and he never came back.

That is also why there were so many lurkers who didn't want to post. I know people personally who simply didn't post for fear of inviting drama.

You can stay focused and on-topic without being offensive. We are very focused and on-topic here without the harshness. The key is present and active moderation, which did not exist at FGF.

Here people get mad, say rude/mean things and it is cleaned up immediately and repeat offenders risk losing their privilege to be here.

Again, this is a hobby, not a career. It's supposed to be fun and challenging. Not drama.