Old 09-27-13, 11:33 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by richardmasoner
A 300 pound cyclist still masses an order of magnitude less than any motor vehicle.

You all are familiar with the 4th Power Rule, right? Vehicle road damage is not proportional just to weight, but by vehicle speed times axle weight to the fourth power.

If you want registration fees proportional to road damage, let’s start with a 1 penny registration fee for a bicycle. A 5000 pound SUV travels at 3x the speed of a fast cyclist, and weighs 25 times as much as a cyclist and his bike. 25 to the 4th power = 390,625; multiplied by 3 = 1,171,875 pennies or $11,718.75.
True but people want to argue with me about the size of contact patch, how rigid the tire is etc, so I just postulate as proportional and I wouldn't mind paying a penny or a dollar.

But now that you mention it, if we had to overpay our fair share by tens of millions of times, I think it would be fair that we get the right of way no matter what the situation is, and ride right down the middle of any street. No red lights for us either - make those freeloading motorists stop even on green lights.