View Single Post
Old 09-27-13, 03:22 PM
Jed19

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cafzali
Most everyone in the sport believes he knew very well what was going on as far as doping, but as leaders of other professional sports have done, chose to cover it up. The fact that he was a staunch defender of Lance didn't help his cause either, as that just served to link him to the poster boy for doping, even though many others were also guilty as well.
These are just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak. I don't have any evidence, but I suspect he and Verbruggen were on the take. How does an 'ethical' sports administrator accept a sizable donation from an athlete his organisation is supposed to police?

And the other thing is McQuaid should never have been elected in the first place. Why? He was banned from the 1976 Olympics for competing in an apartheid South Africa cycling race, despite the world-wide boycott of that nation at that time. The old rogue had registered for the race under a false name. A press photographer had snapped his picture, and the photograph did not match the name. How somebody so unethical came to head the UCI is just unbelievable. The guy was a scoundrel, even way back then.

I say good riddance!