View Single Post
Old 09-28-13, 04:37 AM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FMB42
With what you've said I'd offer little, if anything, over what the used value of the bike is without the power system. Used e-bike power systems can very easily end up being nothing but a door stop if you can't test them out first.

I'll also say that the $150 fee to box and ship it is a bit excessive. The truth is that the whole bike, unseen and untested by you, could be worth less than what the seller might be asking to box and ship it. The problem with bicycles, electric or otherwise, is that they can easily be bent, wrecked, or abused beyond repair. And it isn't too uncommon for people to dump such bikes off on unsuspecting buyers that aren't able to test ride them beforehand (this is especially true with electric/electronic products). Please note that I'm not saying that this is the case, I'm just saying that it could be the case.

Btw, when it comes to electric and/or electronics, one bad component can damage another, which in turn, can damage yet another, etc, etc. This cascading destruction of components can drive the cost of repairs well beyond what the entire system is worth (and yes, I've learned this the expensive way with motorcycle electrical systems).
Yes, I may be getting cold feet here. I would not suspect this person as an individual because I don't know him, but you are right that one just doesn't know for sure.

i may want to work towards a long term plan whereby I can maybe get a good price on a new bike (I would rather add a few hundred to the price from this deal if I'm really only buying the bike) and then save up for a quality electric system.

Any more conversation on this is welcomed, but thank you so far.

now, what would my ultimate setup be???? Hmmmmmmm.......