JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
That's what the Bontrager site for the bar-end adapters says. I gather that there are different ways you attach a bar end to the handlebar. Apparently "cramp-style" bar ends refer to those you attach to the handlebar by tightening the cramp around the end of the handlebar.

My FX comes with an "IsoZone" handlebar with integrated ergonomic elastomers inside the grips. In order to be able to attach bar ends, you need to replace these elastomers with the shorter ones that come with this adapter kit. The kit also includes longer handlebar caps, which you insert into the ends. The caps go all the way in when you don't have bar ends. To add bar ends, you tighten the cramp around the cap, insert the cap into the grip as far as you can, and then tighten the cramp of the handlebar.
Do you mean 'clamp'? That's the traditional way of attaching bar ends to bars.
From Wiki's handlebar entry:
Some handlebars have bar ends welded onto them but most are clamped to the end of the bar.
Bar ends were very popular on mountain bikes from the early 1990s until the late 1990s.

Bought my first set of bar ends sometime around 1993 - they clamped onto the bars.