View Single Post
Old 09-29-13, 07:26 PM
mander

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by downtube42
Late to the party but thought I'd comment.

As soon as I read the thread title I knew what the OP was talking about, and knew my response. Oh yeah, I've been there. Of course all the LD veterans have covered my thoughts, but to reiterate:

1. FOOD
2. Quit thinking. Well, except for things you need to think about, like FOOD.
3. Wake up to your surroundings.
4. The only distance that matters is to the next stop, even if you only stop for 90 seconds.

If you really really feel like crap and want to throw your bike in the ditch and never ride it again, and you hate pretty much everyone and everything, and you just want to be at home sitting on a sofa, then here's what you do:

1. Get to a safe place. I'm talking just off the pavement 50' ahead, not a park 10 miles away.
2. Eat something. Gel or fruit or a candy bar, whatever you have. Just be sure you have something or life is going to be bad for a while.
3. Drink.
4. Soak in your surroundings - flowers, trees, hills, mountains, fields, architecture, whatever there is to see.
5. If you can find someone to talk to, that's great. Otherwise just carry on. You'll be fine.

I like maltodextrin drinks as a way to fend off the low spots, combined with solid foods to cover other nutritional needs. But that's just me, YMMV.
Just commenting to say, nice post.