Old 09-29-13, 10:58 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Medic Zero
This is my 1993 GT Outpost, set up as I ride it every day. I commute 100 miles a week, and ride seven days a week on this. Often I can ride for long periods of time comfortably, but sometimes my wrists still bother me and sometimes my hands still go numb. I suspect with the handlebars just a little bit higher and with just a little bit more sweep I probably wouldn't have those problems anymore.
That's what I thought too, and I have bars with 4" of rise on one of my bikes. 3+" of rise on the main commuter. I sit about as upright as anyone can and my wrists still bother me. This summer I bought a drop-bar road bike because I could. It was a lot of fun. Even though the bars are just a smidge lower than seat height, my wrists did not get sore and my hands did not go numb after 5 miles! Well the rains are here in the Pacific Northwest and I've put the road-racer away, but I've ordered the brake levers and bars I'll need to convert my main commuter to drop bars. Its fine to have druthers, but don't let that completely blind you to possibly a better way of doing something. Not saying my solution is that better way by any means, its just that I've been away for several days and just catching up here. I see where posters trying to be helpful, have been shot down because they weren't offering solutions that supported your planned agenda. We didn't get to be at the top of the food chain by completely ignoring what other cavemen had to say.

H