View Single Post
Old 09-30-13, 03:00 AM
MichaelW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by LiteraryChic
Do you think that it is simply because of how the way the frame of my bike is designed? It is a small sized frame, and I am 5'3 so I do not keep my seat very high.
Rack fitting is one of the many reasons why 700c is a bit too big for a frame your size. Ideally, the bike should have been designed around 26" MTB wheel size but marketing departments won't let that happen.

Given that this is the bike you have, I would be tempted to try a bodge: bend the cross piece of the rack to give about 5-8mm of clearance. You need to take care that the cross piece does not protrude above the level of the side rails, you need a flat top for carrying flat loads. The bend needs to be an even curve, not an inverted V shape.
Bending aluminium takes care. You may need to make a jig a bit like a pipe bender. You ma be able to use a large radius pipe bender belonging to a plumber.

In bending the cross piece, you may make the rack a bit narrower at that point. Check that your bags continue to fit but I dont see any problem for that design of 2-leg rack.