Old 10-01-13, 06:50 AM
Still Pedaling

Bikes: Brompton and Dahon Curve D3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ciwan
Thanks Guys. You're all pretty much right, I really ought to take better care of it.

What are the best "maintenance" essentials for a Bromtpon?

Also I have a few questions with regards to drying the bike after a ride in the rain ...

1) When you say towel .. do you mean a bathroom towel, like the one I use to dry my face with in the mornings?
2) How dry do you get your bike? Sure I can get the main steel frame dry, but mostly the water get in between the bolts and joints ... etc and that is where I see rust. If I want them dry (I mean proper dry), that will take 30 minutes to an hour for me, I seriously can't be bothered :/ I wake up at 05:30, get to work for 08:00 then get back home for 19:20. Long, tiresome day
3) Is there a best way to clean a Brompton .. or does each do it his/her way and they're all equally good?

Thanks
Fortunately for me I don't have a problem with drying the bike after a rain. I live in an area where we rarely see any, and if there is going to be rain I don't ride. Not a big deal as it is only going to be for a day or two at most, and we won't see rain again for weeks at a time -- sometimes months. Here's a thought; use a hair dryer to dry out the moisture in the joints, moving them as you apply the dryer so to get all the moisture out. But before you do this, perhaps get others thoughts on the hair dryer idea, in case it might damage the paint etc. I know from past experience when I washed my bikes under a car port, I would dry it down using a leaf blower. It worked great and have never had any rust issues. After leaving the bike for a few minutes I would then wipe it down with some good auto rags. You can get those at auto supply shops. I get the ones that are very absorbent.

Like I said, just a thought. Hope it helps.

Cheers
Wayne