Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Jed19
Look, running a stop sign is entirely different from actively planning and executing a fraud. Maybe you don't look at McQuaid's apartheid South Africa imbroglio as fraud, and you might be right, but no doubt in my mind that a guy who does that kind of thing is a moral cretin and a coward. If he felt strongly about busting the apartheid boycott, then he should have registered for the race using his own name. At least, I could have respected him for that, even If I disagreed with his position. And he did that when he was a 26/27 year old, for crying out loud.
And also consider my point that such an ethically-challenged man as a 26/27 year old should not have been voted in to lead the UCI in the first place. There are consequences to things we do, and while I am not advocating that he be sent to Siberia for his past actions/antecedents, at least he has no business leading a world-wide organisation like the UCI.

Harsh? Of course, but that's how I roll!
OK, so you're calling Sean Kelly a "moral cretin and a coward"?

Kelly and two other Irish riders, Pat and Kieron McQuaid, went to South Africa to ride the Rapport Tour stage-race in preparation for the 1976 Olympic Games. They and others rode under false names[4] because of an international ban on athletes competing in South Africa, as a protest against apartheid.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Ke...nd_Olympic_ban