Old 10-01-13, 04:24 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by smallwheeler
now if only bhkyte will chime in here then the trifecta of brompton hate will be complete.
Sorry,but my opinion is every bit as legitimate as yours. I own a Bompton,it's not like I rode one once or am basing my opinion on what I've read on the internet.

i guess you could say that the brilliant design of this 2 cog 3 speed hub is "weird" in that it provides a 302% gear range in equal steps which is very near equivalent to the shimano alfine 8's 307% range. i guess it's also weird that it only weighs .94kg compared the nexus 8's 1.59kg.
Weird because to step through the gear range you need to use two shifters simultaneously. They did what they did to save weight,and yes,it saves weight. But I'd prefer just one shifter. Actually,I'd prefer a derailleur drivetrain.

i'm a pretty open-minded person, but not so open-minded that my brains fall out. the fact is, in all the brompton hate that i've read in this forum, i have yet to read a cogent, logical, clearly reasoned argument against this brilliant machine.
Ok. Why can't Brompton use brakes that can be opened without a wrench? Why must the chain tensioner be removed? Of all my complaints about Bromptons,I think rear wheel removal is the most legitimate. On my Mu and my old Mezzo,I open the rear brake,flip the bike upsidedown,pop the QR,pull the wheel from the dropouts,and unthread it from the derailleur/chain. On my Speed,I also have to pop off the shift box and use a 15mm instead of a QR. On my Brompton,I need a 10mm for the brake,a 3mm hex for the tensioner,and a 15mm for the wheel. I also have to keep track of the tensioner bolt(lose it and the bike's not ride-able) and the shift linkage(lose it and you're stuck in high). IMHO,to which I am entitled,it is a bad design to require multiple tools and to need to remove/keep track of parts just to remove your rear wheel. I've never owned another bike that needed more than a 15mm and left loose parts to keep track of. That is a poor design.

Do you think Brompton's rear wheel removal is a good idea? Would you change it if you could?

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X