Thread: HED H3 Carbon
View Single Post
Old 10-02-13, 03:18 AM
crewdoglm

Bikes: De Rosa Idol, Felt TK-2, Pinarello Paris, Williams Gemini alloy, Basso Astra, Basso Laguna, Bottecchia Leggendaria, Cinelli SSCX, Argon 18 Electron track, 60-70 wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bitingduck
I raced a pair of old Specialized Trispokes (construction may be slightly different, but it's essentially the same wheel) for a few seasons, til I broke one in a crash. They're fine wheels for almost anything, though if you look at the Roues Artisanales site they're the flexiest (but among the most aero) wheels. The only time I ever found it to be an issue was riding madison on steep concrete tracks-- in a bad exchange with a lot of side load they'd chatter getting thrown in off relief. On a wood track (at least on Carson), they'd slide slightly rather than chatter. I'm about 185.

FWIW, big chunks of CF can be as stiff or flexi as you want them to be, depending on how you lay it up.
Great information. Thanks! The chatter you mention is something I've experienced but had completely forgot. (Racing 25 years ago. Yikes...) Madison slings behind the motor (training) would do that and the track was Atlanta which if I recall, is 41 degrees and concrete. We would wind up exchanging in the bank sometimes when the motor was really moving and that would cause a weird shudder. (The rider on the bottom was reaching UP in the throw.) Appreciate it.