Old 10-02-13, 04:21 AM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ok thanks for intro cqp!!

Hi, generally I prefer mezzo as a commuter.

Brompton has better support as mezzo dealerships drying up.
If you like the 6 speed brommie then its a good bet.
Brommie is better off road than. Mezzo is faster as it stiffer and lacks rear suspension. I use a suspension seat post for of road on the mezzo , so you can have the best of both worlds.

Mezzo are as reliable,don't scratch easily and rust less, chain issues and gears are also fine. Turn a mezzo crank forwards when folding,and fit chain retainer on seat post if problem. Usually find it drops a chain that's worn out. If you want an easy life get a mezzo with internal gears. Brompton chain comes off sometimes.

Mezzo seat posts are longer without needing telescopic it will fit you.

Mezzo needs very occasional adjustment to self locking hinges.

Mezzo are under geared for many. Mezzo I4 is easy to up gear with chain ring. Standard hubs fit if you want to upgrade.

Mezzo fetch lower secondhand so cheaper to get. Brompton can be bought bespoke and hold value well.
if you like the 6 speed brommie it will serve you well and not lose much money if you sell. Mezzo cheaper to get new or used.

I think your joy ride and stored in the boot sounds like a birdie, dahon,downtube,swift type bike.

You may well be better of from your description with a 20 inch wheel or a birdie. However, the joys of owning a compact folding bike is a bit like when microwave ovens where invented. You did not realise how you could use it until you got one!!