View Single Post
Old 10-02-13, 11:01 PM
Yoshibiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sun EZ-3 AX Recumbent Trike

Who has experience with this make/model?

Balancing has never been my strongest point, but I am capable enough to ride a two wheel, but I get a little nervous when trying to do hand signals, and I find having to put my foot down when stopping to be a tad inconvenient. I've looked at upright trikes, but none of them seemed fast or lightweight, and I heard they were terrible at climbing hills.

I currently ride an upright tandem. the long wheelbase provides stability. It's 57 pounds, but with everything I've got on it, it's likely more around 60 pounds. I used to average between 12 and sometimes up to 14 MPH, but I recently got flatter tires and I now have little trouble maintaining a 14+ average.

I have ridden recumbent many times. Me and a friend ride a Counterpoint tandem at least once a week. He rides the upright/captain position, I ride the recumbent/stoker seat. We conquer lots of hills. I've ridden a single recumbent bike once before. I didn't notice going uphill being as bad as some have claimed.

I love my upright tandem (even the "you lost somebody!" comments), but I wouldn't mind having a three wheel vehicle so I wouldn't have to worry so much about balance. But would I be sacrificing much with this recumbent trike compared to an upright two wheel? Would hills be significantly harder? Would I lose speed? I know that the Sun EZ-3 AX is lighter than my Pacific Dualie bike, and has more gears, but I have never ridden an adult trike before (I'd like to test ride one if ever possible). Is this a decent trike for not being a tadpole? Tadpoles are faster, but I'm not that desperate for speed. And I like how much higher the rider sits on this one.

I also like having handlebars in front of me. I had been looking at the EZ-3 SX, but I wasn't hearing too many good stories about it. Plus, finding out that the AX was lighter and better built lured me to it instead.

My tandem has standard pedals, always has. If I got this trike, I would opt for clipless since balancing would no longer be a concern.

Another friend of mine has ridden recumbent trikes in the past, so I plan to talk to him at some point. Though I don't know if he's ever ridden the EZ-3 AX.