View Single Post
Old 10-03-13, 08:02 AM
rkokish

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Change the Culture

Colorado has a 3 foot law. Fortunately, most drivers here are quite courteous and go to great lengths to pass bikes safely and I find that to be the case in most of the areas wherein I've cycled. Laws don't immediately make for changed behavior. We cyclists can however use them to educate people and change the culture. For example, last week a driver passed very close to me. I caught up to him at the next traffic light, knocked on his window, politely reminded him of the 3 foot law, explained that it he frightened me by coming within about one foot instead of obeying the 3 foot rule and requested that he follow it from now on. I bet he remembers that and will maybe share that experience with family and friends. (He reacted to me impassively.) Regardless of the attitude with which he talks about the incident, every time he mentions it, it will draw attention to the law and raise awareness. Conversely, I try to obey traffic laws (red lights, hand signals, etc.) and every time a driver gives me the right of way I respond with a smile and a friendly thank you wave. If the window is open, I usually call out a thank you.