Old 09-24-05, 11:14 AM
aperkins
rides-with-dogs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
Secondly, the fact is SUVs are =bad=. You don't have to like it, and you can rationalize it all you like but for a whole host of reasons they are anti-social, bad for the environment, unhealthy, and frivolous fashion statements.
I drive an SUV. It gets 26 mpg, which is a whole lot better than most of the pickup trucks that so many people here in TX drive. Is it wonderful? No. And I will, eventually, get one that has better milage, as money permits (it will be a while). It gets better milage than many sedans, and many minivans. The reason I have it is so that we can carry all three of our dogs, our bikes, and a small trailer that has all our camping gear. Sometimes we even take friends to be social. A minivan might have worked as well, but I don't see how minivans are any less "=bad=", and we didn't happen to find one with the features (and lack of) that we wanted. My small SUV is not a status symbol or a fashion statement - it's a Saturn, not exactly a hot ride. It regularly passes the emmisions tests, so again, it is at least no worse than other vehicles. I have no idea why you think they're unhealthy - it takes me to parks I can't get to otherwise so I can bike and hike and camp.

Sorry for the rant. I usually avoid those threads as being too silly to waste my time on. (guess I'm just silly today) Sure some SUV's aren't great, but saying they're all bad is like saying all cyclists are elitist jerks just because you've met a few who are. If anyone comes up with a good reason to hate *all* SUV's, any more than it is reasonable to hate *all* gas-powered vehicles, let me know. In the meantime, I'll bike when I can, and drive when I can't.

And I don't drink coffee, either.