1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by JB05
Just wanted to bump this and give a little update. Peter White cycles did re-build my wheel around my existing 36 hole, 8-speed internal hub. It seems very sturdy and I haven't had any spoke breakages since. Again, I thank you for the advice.

I did get a flat rear tire, but that was due to age and wear, not a defect in the wheel itself.

I would also note that the Peter White rebuild necessitated that I get a new tube. I needed a Presta valve + an extender to make the stem fit through the new rim. The new rim is a very thick and deep V. I wasn't crazy about having to use a Presta, but it's no big deal really.
Peter White makes good wheels, I know this first hand. When I bought my 2009 FUJI Newest 1.0, it came with Alex wheels. The rear wheels kept on breaking spokes. After the 2nd broken spoke, I asked the shop to build me a wheel using a Velocity Deep V rim. That wheel popped a spoke also. So I sent the stock Alex hub to Peter and he sent me a new wheel. No problems for a year; I ended up selling that bike. A few months ago, I bought a 2013 Scott CR1 Pro. At this price range, one would expect decent wheels. Bike came with DT Swiss hoops. They look nice and spin forever; but after a few weeks the front wheel went out of true. And now the rear is a bit wobbly .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFyXxrqWbPA