View Single Post
Old 10-09-13, 07:43 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some of you may know this but I coach a few guys. One of the guys I coach is on here and is new to the sport (this was his first year racing). He made his Cat 3 upgrade and I believe that he would have made it to a 2 had there not been some mid year setbacks. He is currently in his base period and he is super dedicated to whatever is prescribed and is often disobedient and goes beyond what has been prescribed. THat is not a bad thing at this point in his young career.
This is his ride from Saturday (posting only with his permission btw):

His average power was 68% of his current ftp.

He followed Saturday's ride up with this one on Sunday:

His average power on this ride was 66% of ftp

This week is a rest week after several big weeks. At the rate he is developing he is going to rip some fields apart early next year. When early in your riding career you have to develop the diesel side of the engine the hone it for speed. This type of training plan is how I developed with 20+ hour weeks for years. But that was a different time, as I developed that base early I have always been able to maintain it.
Secondly as you rise through the categories you have to acclimate yourself to distance. I am training this young guy like a Cat 1 as I fully believe in him and know that his 2 upgrade will come early in the season and I believe he will get his one in less that a year from getting his 2 as his progression has been amazing to watch.

Point of all this is that base is important and if you have the time, will power and dedication it makes the world of difference in a career. ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Capture.JPG (17.0 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg
Capture2.JPG (16.4 KB, 150 views)