Old 10-09-13, 10:42 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
...[I] wonder how much water would it take to damage one [Brooks saddle]?
I owned two Brooks saddles that were NOT pre softened. I put fifty thousand miles on each one of them (minimally). The first one I totally abused, the second one I babied with Proofide and rain covers. They both lasted until I just got tired of them. Then I bought a pre-softened one - it was fairly new on a ride I took on a really hot day. I squirted ice water through the vents in my helmet all day (now and then) which totally drenched my shirt, shorts, and saddle that was treated with Proofide but not covered. I sat on it wet all day. It was never the same after that and I tossed it in the garbage soon after. It never really broke in properly before I sat on it wet all day, then it broke in crooked somehow.

Just an experience, maybe a fluke. I quit riding Brooks after that and have been MUCH happier anyway. Wouldn't ride a Brooks again if I got a free one. Back in the day it was the best we could do. Modern materials and science have vastly improved saddle comfort over the years. Sort of like a bench seat in a pickup truck versus a bucket seat in Lexus. The only thing that impresses me about Brooks today is the wonderful marketing campaign they run to make people believe the bench seat is somehow better and more "hip". And none of my modern saddles give a hoot if they get wet (I have 5 bikes and not a Brooks in sight).

Last edited by JoeyBike; 10-09-13 at 10:53 PM.