View Single Post
Old 10-11-13, 12:32 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,311 Posts
Originally Posted by skagitteam
Thanks for the replies. I want to shorten these extensions because the head tube is already very long by the time I apply the other geometry I want. The uncut steerer on the fork I want to use is only 300mm long. Once you account for headset stack and stem clamp space, this does not leave a lot of extra length to work with before I run out of steerer length. I could fix this by buying a fork with a longer steerer, but I don't like the available options. (This is a road disc bike.)

If any of you believe I'm thinking about this the wrong way, please speak up. I'm thinking I will lower the top-tube, seat tube junction by a few mm while maintaining the top tube angle to give myself a bit of extra space to work with on the head tube extensions.

By the way, the reason for the long head tube is that I'm very tall--6'8". My fitter recommended a 234mm head tube.
Make your own fork. Another option if you only need a couple of cms more steerer length is to add a section to it's top. Sleeve the add on for strength and alignment. Since the bearing alignment issues will still be on the original length and the stem will overlap the added on section I think all would be good. But I'm sure some will find this option to be wrong... Andy.