View Single Post
Old 10-12-13, 11:02 AM
kmcrawford111
50/50 Road/eBike Commuter

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Fatboy, Specialized Sirrus, Nashbar Campus, Taga 2.0 Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by turbo1889
Why don't they just build an automatic braking system into existing cars that makes it almost impossible to hit something with a car that is right in front of you? That would be a relatively simple thing to build and program just program for progressively lower speed the closer the object in front. Wouldn't be a complete solution since an operator could still drive the car as fast as possible and then turn into what they were trying to hit/run-down at the last moment but it would be an excellent way to prevent so many incidents involving people hitting things with cars that are right in front of them. Basically I want it so that when the texting idiot driver looking at their device and not even looking is about to plow into someone or something right in front of them the brakes get slammed on hard enough for their face to fly forward and bounce off the steering wheel inside the car leaving some appropriate assorted bumps, bruises, and lacerations. Do that enough times and maybe with enough good bounces the loose wires inside their heads will get lined up properly for them to actually pay attention and treat their vehicle as the dangerous machine it is with the proper respect and due care and respect accordingly.
+1. One would think doing this would be less complicated than having an entire automated control system. My only concern here would be braking so sudden and hard as you describe - I could see that causing other problems. But it seems at least a more modulated automatic brake would be a good idea.

As to the why? I think it's obvious - car makers are courting to drivers who want to be distracted. All their pushing for all these hands-free devices and touchscreens are a clear reflection of this. There's a good reason for having tactile controls - you don't have to look at them. The emphasis clearly is not about safety for car makers - just look at all the crazy **** you see promoted in car commercials. Aggressive driving, even in the middle of large cities. Cars playing football! Cars playing duck duck goose! It would be just stupid if people didn't actually drive that way. It's about power, comfort, and convenience, and always has been. I've seen two commercials lately where people who were almost plowed into by inattentive drivers appear happy that the two-ton machines that nearly ended their lives had some new technology that averted disaster. If it were me, or my kid, I'd give those drivers hell regardless. I'm supposed to appreciate that your car has a sensor that lets you look away even more? The hell with that.