Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
Risk of where that bullet goes after it is shot in the air or on the ground. Also going back to what I was taught and has been repeated by different instructors (my state, their laws) is if you don't intend to shoot the person you should not draw. Drawing to fire a warning shot doesn't fit into that. However my thoughts of "the situation changed from draw to fire" is my thoughts and is not echoed by them.

Much of what is taught is forced on how the courts see certain things. It's unfortunate but that's the way it is. It's complicated and it's messy. A situation like seeing someone steal your bike chained outside a store isn't enough to draw where I am at though protecting a person who is in deadly harm (not just getting a slap) is. And on and on. About every three months I read through what could be called "The average person's guide to carrying concealed" and they cover the laws, situations and outcomes, etc. Each time I shake my head and know that I have to be very sure of what I'm doing if I was to ever draw my weapon. I hope to never do so but it's there if needed.
All good points - just to clear the warning shot. Talking about a situation where shooting to kill is justified. So no empty threat, but a real danger, and one is pulling a gun to kill the attacker. Ok?

In that situation, where I live it is strongly advised to fire a warning shot first (if possible at all, if there is enough time, of course), then shoot at the legs, lower part of the body (again, if possible at all - if the attacker has already pulled a gun at you, you must shoot to kill/disable).

What do you think of that? I was instructed to shoot in the air, or if in a city (with skyscrapers), at a 45 degree angle downwards, away from people (past the attacker). Does that make sense to you?