View Single Post
Old 10-14-13, 08:21 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Y'know, my one concern about this extension is that it now makes the bikeway unrideable, in its full length, for younger kids and more "casual" riders. I've taken my wife out on the bikeway from Cedar Creek to the boardwalk - and she loves it, but the ten mile round trip is about all she can take. Same thing with neighbors and friends who don't ride as much or as hard as I do.

I think what might happen is that the Jones Beach parking lots will become a new starting point for the bikeway extension to TOBAY, which means that NY State will be collecting the parking fee, and the Town of Oyster Bay will provide beach services for free. This is a loss for the Town, especially since it's unlikely that cyclists are going to dine in any of the overpriced restaurants at TOBAY. I hate to say it, but I think either proof-of-residency or a nominal fee should be required of bicyclists reaching TOBAY.

If I had an extra couple of hundred grand laying around, I'd propose opening and operating a cyclists' cafe and bike shop somewhere along the route. Anybody in on that?