View Single Post
Old 10-15-13, 01:46 PM
Stryver

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What makes a commuter car? What are the qualities one looks for in a 4-wheeled, powered vehicle to get from one's residence to one's place of work? I know a guy who's daily driver is an _old_ MG convertible. A friend's dad drove a Dodge Viper in the summer in the summer and a Jeep in the winter. A former co-worker had a Shelby-clone kit car that he drove on nice summer days, another co-worker's only car was a Lotus, and a California surfer-dude I knew drove a F-350 diesel, but had plans to upgrade to a Mercedes. My wife loves her Toyota Echo, and I'll probably have to go find another one if this one ever dies. An old friend has traded in a car about every 18 months for the past 10 years, I have no clue what he's driving now, last I knew he went from little sports car to mid-size pick-up. I'm rolling over 210K on the Subaru I bought new 2 years out of college.

So, I ask you, will any car do for driving to work? How do you choose the car you use to drive to work?

It is not true that any bike would work for _me_ to commute on. My current commuter is somewhat modified from when I first started using it to get to work, and very heavily modified from when it first left the retail floor. Most bikes I _could_ get to work on, but I would start modifying (or completely overhauling) many of them immediately, and the rest would get at least some tweaking.