View Single Post
Old 09-25-05, 06:46 PM
ChroMo2

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Moab2 cross-country racing, highly modified, rebuilt many, many times. very fast!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chrali
I have been riding an old GT backwoods for a long time with regular flat pedals. I'm an OK rider. I like to ride technical trails and there are times every ride that i will have to take my foot off the pedals. I just got an 05 Epic with clipless pedals and I am trying to practice on them before i take it on any really tough trails. I have fallen off several times trying to put myself in situations I would encounter on trails which makes me a little nervouse. I have only had the bike for a few days. I am getting better with the pedals every day but still considering putting flat pedals back on for safety. Am I being paranoid? Does everyone go through this when the first try clipless pedals?
my pedals aren't clipless, I use toestraps, but you didn't use anything to hold you to your bike with "regular" platform pedals. I have a set of platforms that i've used, just to try something different (with and without the pegs) But you'll probably be a better rider if you learn that your actually controlling your bike with your feet. If you jump your bike is gonna jump with you. Keep riding your bike with the clipless pedals. if you crash and you feel it caused by the pedals, don't worry, it's all part of the game. you can crash because of lack of attention to many things your doing while riding. You said you've noticed it's getting easier to use them, now concentrate on the performance and manuevering advantages it can give you when your trying to do a "technical" on a trail or other obstacle. or just doing a fast sprint.