cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
At first I suggested this go in a new thread, but on reflection, it's related. And it's sure easier to keep it here. I can't offer much advice on which trike to get, especially since you don't tell us where you live, what sort of terrain you ride, how you ride, and what your expectations are for the trike you get. As far as knees go, the answer is, trikes *could* be hard on your knees, if you don't gear down sufficiently. That's true with any bike, and especially true for recumbents in general because of the possibility of using the seat as a brace and pushing too hard. But with proper technique, they're no worse than any other bike.
I was also going to suggest the same thing (another thread), and also decided to not do it.

You'll find more traffic on BROL, so I recommend asking there as well. I haven't heard anything too negative about any of the Trident offerings (but I've never ridden one either). Used trikes are another option.

I also agree about 'bents and knees. They aren't any worse if you don't do silly things (i.e., use the seat back to really mash when you should be spinning).

Given somebody in your situation, I would recommend a recumbent trike, so I think you're on the right path.

Good luck,
Charles