Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
OK, so this is it.

After a lot of looking around, I bought a Scott CR-1 back in 2008. Light, comfortable and fast. Best of all, it fit me. The only thing I didn't like about it was that the rear derailleur hanger was non-replaceable. But I figured ... 20 years of riding with no crashes ... what could go wrong?

Well, 3 or 4 weeks after buying it, I blew a front tire descending at about 25 MPH. Broken collarbone, broken ribs, badass road rash. It sucked. What sucked more is that when I finally recovered, I went to replace the rear tire and noted that someone (the shop or the factory) had put a 700x32 tube in a 700x23 wheel and tire. So much for the mystery about how the front tire blew.

The damage to the bike was about nil ... except (of course) the derailleur hanger got bent.

I had the hanger bent back to the proper position, and it stayed that way pretty much for two years, when it again needed straightening. It stayed that way for a while, then needed straightening again. And each time it's bent back into position, it's never really totally correct, just close enough. So the bike has never really shifted as well as it should.

Fed up with that, I contacted Scott to see if it could be fixed. They recommended Calfee, who will happily do it for >$500. Plus $65 for the dropout (Scott only wanted $25 for it), probably nearly $200 for shipping both ways, and extra if I want it to look nice. So we are looking at $700-$800 minimum. And it would be replaced by ... you guessed it ... yet another non-replaceable hanger.

So here is the question. What would you do? I'm leaning to just chucking it all and buying another frame. Not looking forward to that, though ... because I like the way the CR-1 frame rides, climbs, and fits me.
When a hanger is bent, and then bent back, it needs to be properly aligned with the frame, frame builders have special tools for this...A STEEL or Ti hanger can be bent back, AL ones can not. The risk with bending an AL one is that it can crack, and you may not notice until it breaks off, and the derailleur goes bouncing around held on only by the cable, until it bounces into the spokes.