Old 10-20-13, 08:49 AM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
What's main advantages of CX bike over Roadbike?

I suppose it's obvious. But I did a very muddy, slippery race yesterday with my roadbike-turned-CX bike using sparse-knob green Vittoria Tigre tubies, 28mm. I thought the bike worked great. But I kept running into the tape exiting turns.

In such conditions I kinda thought that narrow tires were better than wide. Possible?

My bike is a nice light 19 lbs.

But it has road brakes -- I sure didn't have much braking yesterday but I didn't feel I needed it, either. Still, I haven't ever tried canti's or disks so I wouldn't know what I'm missing.

Lastly, I'm using a single bar-end shifter. Moving my hand to the lever often seemed like a pain. It seems like these courses with lots of quick changes are good for brifters. And is indexing smart for CX? I "jangle" gears sometimes and also make big, "coarse" shifts where I end up in the wrong gear -- too hard or too easy coz I'm throwing the lever so much just to try to get it close in such a short time.

If I switched to a CX frame and cantis and brifters I wonder what that would do to my game...

I do have some handmade 30mm Grifo tubies just waiting...