View Single Post
Old 10-21-13, 01:20 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
I edited my post, but I think it's useless gesture in a big way. I found it on the internet and it many places. It's not hard to figure out either. There are no secrets anymore.

Personally, I'd rather have it posted so that the manufacturers do something about it. It's now harder getting it out than a broken skewer would be but you get to pay $70 or so for the privilege. None of this stuff works against a determined thief - noting that many can be through a U lock in <10 seconds.

The whole point of all of this is making your bike harder to steal than the one next to it.

Here, for example, are another 2-3 ways to get past them and almost any locking skewer.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post14353885

There is no theft resistant, there is only theft delaying products. The thing that gets me is when we are sold a product and it can be defeated rapidly - at least make it so that the bike gets destroyed by trying to get it free (Mutual Assured Destruction concept) or make it take a long time with obvious tools.

The good news is that if you park your bike where other bikes are parked, it's a given that virtually ALL of them will be less protected than your bike with a U lock and pinheads or pitlocks and, therefore, a much more likely target. My kids have their bikes at a university in a major city and with pitlocks (and for a year with pinheads) for a total of 5 bike-years without so much as an issue (fingers are crossed). To a thief, looking at our bikes, they are a *major* hassle compared to other bikes right along side. That's what makes it work.

Here's another product that caught my eye. Probably a whole lot cheaper than either pinhead or pitlocks for that matter.

http://www.brycefastener.com/security/penta-nuts.cfm

J.