Old 10-21-13, 01:31 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
The three big things a tri coach did for me was swim technique, scheduling, and accountability. For me the big difference between Tri's and Road Racing is its all about numbers in Triathlon. There aren't any drafting tactics, its just pure wattage conserved at a set distance.

Road racing (which I admit am inexperienced at) seems to be much more about tactics. A racer who is new to the sport, needs someone not only to improve thier power on the bike overall but to work with the coach on how to race and tactics. Hypothetically, I could hire a coach, nail everything in his plan, and still get shelled in a race because I don't know to hold a wheel, position myself, etc. Maybe I'm reading too much into CDR's shill, but he seems to know his stuff.

For the reason above, I've limited myself to 5 guys that are all local.
don't get me wrong, tactics and racecraft are important, but you can get that stuff for free from more experienced riders and being introspective after races.

That's not the reason you pay a coach, though a good coach should know enough about race tactics to give you pointers for your races.

the reason you pay a coach is to get a set of training plans tailored to the racing you are doing while managing teaining dosage so you don't burn out.