View Single Post
Old 10-23-13, 09:09 AM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I just spoke with a helpful tech person and he suggested a couple things:

#1 : That the pedal releases best when unweighted. Perhaps I can revise how I dismount to unweight before I rotate my foot.

#2 : That my old shoes may have tread that is worn low/thin enough to make the cleat stick up more and grab the pedal too deeply. (I do notice the cleats 'clacking' the floor when walking with my old Shimano Touring shoes.) It's the REVERSE problem that the included plastic cleat-shim is designed to cure (too much tread is a problem as well). Indeed, for newer models of pedal they have a kit to accommodate worn-out shoes to "shim" out the pedal body/shaft to keep the wings from grabbing too much. He suggested clipping in a shoe and checking to see if there's a gap b/w shoe and pedal. If there is then the SHOE needs the shim (or pedal-body).

So I'll give these ideas a try, as best I can with what I have. If need be, maybe I can make my own shoe-tread shim to test this idea (my pedals are too old for the pedal-shim kit).

The TS guy was very helpful and I do appreciate that! Now for more testing...

I do like the increased lightness of these pedals and the easy clip-in's (I sometimes stab at my SPDs for frustrating seconds) and the mud-clearing.