Old 10-23-13, 10:09 AM
wilfried

Bikes: Brompton M3L, Tern Verge P20, Citi Bike

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Upgrade three speed Brompton, or...?

This question has been on the back burner for a while, but perhaps now is the time to get some insight, so I have the winter to make a decision.

A bit over a year ago, I got a three speed Brompton for a great price from a friend. It’s near perfect for my mostly urban riding, and it’s become my primary mode of transportation. I ride it for everything from my three mile commute to 60+ mile joy rides. I’ve ridden it enough that I was able to do a 600+ mile rather mountainous tour in New Mexico (on a road bike).

I would really like to have gotten a six speed; at the price I paid I can’t complain, but I’m starting to feel the limitations. I really wish it had a wider gear range, mostly a low gear for hills, and a higher gear for speed would sometimes be nice too. Three speeds is fine for the mostly flat city, but every time go outside my usual ride zone, I worry about what kind of hills I’m going to hit, and there are few places in the city I really struggle.

I’m thinking about upgrading, but the question is how? I found out that upgrading my Brompton from three speed to six speed costs upwards of $500, so I think it’s worth considering getting a new bike. I could get a six speed Brompton, with whatever bells and whistles. Or should I get another folding bike, perhaps something more “roadie”? And if so what? I’m thinking another bike might more suitable for longer rides and hills, perhaps a bit more speed, and just for a bit of variety.

Size and weight are a major consideration. I live in a teeny tiny New York City apartment, and four flight walkup. A non-folder is out of the question. Even a second folder might be questionable, but perhaps doable. The bike needs to be small and portable enough to store, carry up (many) stairs regularly, and fit on a commuter train so I can take it to places where I’m likely to encounter hills. Cost is a consideration; this would be my splurge of the year, but I am considering the price of a new Brompton.

If I go for a second bike, what should I consider? A Tern? Perhaps a Bike Friday? Which one? Perhaps a Xootr Swift? Something else?

Thanks for reading the long post, and I’d interested in any thoughts or suggestions.