Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
Originally Posted by rkwaki
I'll try though I know CDR has some good stuff on this.
You have flat out speed sprinters, Cavendish for example, he needs a fast leadout and then pulls through as the last man with flat out speed and equally impressive jump, though it is truly only a couple hundred meters at best.
You have those that have a violent jump (stein for example) and is very hard to counter as those that use that type of jump usually sit in and jump right at their max sprint distance
There are sprinters that need a leadout and those that have sheer raw horsepower.
There are group sprinters (i.e. those that come out of the field) and are a little more aggressive.
As I know you are crit focussed you need to evaluate what type of sprinter "you" are.

Here is my definition of me:
Aggressive - as I am a group sprinter I need to be as I don't have a huge jump - if there finish line is 100-200 meters from the last corner it is going to hurt me.
Huge power - never really did any huge sprints but estimate I would max out around 2,000 watts when I raced at 180, FTP north of 400
Preferred sprint for me is one starting from a very high speed, 38+ with a long run in (think Tour type sprints) as I don't need to worry about guys with a big jump playing that card

And I can tell you exactly, almost to the meter how long I can sprint at 100% effort. When surveying a crit course I calculate backwards from the finish line where I intend to start my sprint.

A lot of it works out to calculated science and understanding your strengths/weaknesses as well as those of the people you are racing.

The big difference is I know "me" and what I can and can't do. If I am outgunned knowing that the sprint will not suit me I am a little lazy and let the cards fall where they may.

I use coaches (why does one get a coach thread) and I have attended specialty sprint training sessions put on my them. In learning to sprint, every sprinter knows the mark on the course where he will begin his sprint. Most sprints are about 20 pedal strokes. One gets in their sprint gear and rides back 20 pedal strokes and finds their mark. We practiced sprints going down a hill that flattens and we hit a mark and had to be in our sprint gear and then drill it. Sprinting requires great execution as well as strength and endurance. If you want to improve your sprint, hire a sprint coach.

Now this is very basic sprinting 101 and we have very accomplished racers here who probably do it differently. However, every sprinter must know his mark. Part of knowing your mark is knowing yourself.

Besides weight training there is plyometrics. Here is a video on box jumping that is pretty good since he describes how to box jump and the progression.