Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
When I describe MOSS (Maximum Optimal Sprint Speed) I recommend people use a slight downhill to help get up to speed.

I also chase trucks.

Motorpacing is unique in that you can make very subtle changes in effort, meaning while basically at the limit. It's very hard to make those minute changes in effort solo because the equivalent changes solo would be like altering pace 0.1 mph or something (I'm making the number up but it's the relative thing that matters). Basically motorpacing allows you to smooth out the power deltas at high speed. A slight change in speed doesn't radically alter your power requirements and you can coast or ease or something and not lose the moto. Therefore you can hover on the edge of detonation and just keep going and going and going.

Other than riding rollers there's nothing else I can compare to motorpacing, and on rollers I find it hard to go at the limit for any length of time.
Late to this thread. Have to second motorpacing, it's basically another way to overspeed.

So often overlooked in a sprinting discussion is Rule #1 ; Get on the right wheel. If you don't get that right there is no rule #2 . In a 40 lap crit your job for 39 of those laps is deciding who you want the be on and how soon you need to be on them.