Old 11-01-13, 07:37 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by dwinks
Why would I? I'm in no rush to get to the next red light faster. I'm not sure if maximizing the amount of time spent at red lights is a 'thing' or not, but it seems that most drivers go way out of their way to sit at as many red lights as possible. At least I can't think of any other reason for people to speed to the next red light. When I'm biking or walking, I constantly see people actively (and often aggressively) accelerating toward a red light. It's amazing that I can cruise down a road on my bike at 15-18 MPH and keep up with traffic that goes 25-35 (peak) MPH... Sure, they get to the light faster, but before it turns green, I've caught back up to them and then they outpace me to the next light and I catch up again while it's red, over and over.

Sure, they're going '30 MPH', but since I'm sitting right next to them red light after red light it's quite apparent that their average speed is the EXACT same average speed as mine. Of course, they're destroying the Earth, destroying their health, and destroying their finances, but it seems that most people are quite happy to do so...because, you know, they're going 'faster'.
This is what always strikes me when someone talks about forcing a car to pass you over and over again. And not annoying drivers by making them pass you twice. It's not reasonable. Since the velocity is the same, bike or car, it is they who are doing the annoying dangerous stunt by forcing their way ahead of you time and again. They could just stay behind and lose nothing, other than having to allow more vehicles to merge in front. Which isn't a bad thing either ...