Old 11-01-13, 08:35 AM
kingsqueak

Bikes: Surly Ogre // (old and gone) Cannondale ST400, Rockhopper Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
Thanks! I just calculated my "ideal" saddle height using the "0.883" method. According to this, I should raise my saddle a bit (by about half an inch). I will try riding it with this saddle a bit later tonight.

Now, I've found something interesting about the "0.883" method. According to a website, the method "assumes riders are wearing standard cycling shoes and your knees are bent at 15 degrees at the bottom of the pedal stroke."

The original method I used recommended that I keep my knee angle around 25 degrees for optimal pedalling performance. Comparing those two methods, I see why my saddle height was lower than what's recommended by the "0.883" method. They are based on different principles, it seems.

FYI, my iliac crest is about the same height as the top of my saddle now. Does it tell you anything?
FWIW if you are within a few cm's of the .883 measurement you are close enough not to be overly concerned. There is variability in there for physiology and preference to an extent. In my case it really helped as it showed me I was a full 7cm too high, which is way off and making the correction was a huge improvement for me.

Main point for most people who aren't trying to compete is just that they are in the ballpark of where it should be so they get an understanding of how the bike should be fit. Too low strains the knees, too high strains the hips, but "too" is definitely more than just a cm or two off the mark.