Old 11-03-13, 11:02 PM
clarkbre

Bikes: 1993 Trek Antelope 830, 1996 Trek Singletrack 930, 1995 Giant Innova, 2012 Surly Pacer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by agent pombero
1) Surly and others can afford to build bicycles in the US and still turn a profit.
2) Surly and others should offer a lifetime warranty on their frames.

Both 1 and 2 are being done by Detroit Bikes ($550 bike!) See: http://bikeportland.org/2013/11/01/d...96451#comments
There's only 100% fact in this post...Just like the Detroit Bikes are 100% American made. Well, technically, my Surly Pacer was American made in my garage in Everett, WA. It too carries Shimano parts as well. And the Kenda Kwest tires on the Detroit Bikes...those were made in Taiwan and probably shipped over with my Surly frame.

1) Surly and others can afford to build bicycles in the US and still turn a profit.
Please back this up with fact. I am sure Trek, Cannondale, and any other manufacturer could turn a profit as an American made bike. But, the fact is, the labor cost to maintain the quality of their frames compared to a Detroit Bikes frame is probably not important right?

One other thing to consider, I would hope that the original poster only drives a 2012 Toyota Camry as that is the most "American Made" car in the US. (Detroit step aside!) Oh, and here's an article to help support it: http://theangstycephalopod.wordpress...american-made/

2) Surly and others should offer a lifetime warranty on their frames.
This is what Detroit Bikes states for their warranty:
This warranty does NOT cover normal wear and tear, normal maintenance items, the use of parts or devices not consistent with the use originally intended for the bicycle as sold, or any damage, failure or loss that is caused by accident, abuse, misuse, neglect, theft, improper assembly, improper maintenance or improper storage

So, what does it cover?

Surly's warranty:
Our frame warranty is 3 years from date of purchase. It applies to the original owner only and covers manufacturing defects only - not horseplay, racing, crashing, or other unauthorized tomfoolery.

This tells me that under normal wear and tear, if the frame starts falling apart at the welds, they will do something about it.

OP: Compare apples to apples. Don't disgrace another company's product with an inferior product labeled as something it's not.

Oh, and your Bikeportland.org link that you referenced....I hope you're proud that all the amazing photos of the Detroit Bikes were shot on a Nikon D300s....That's a camera and lens manufactured overseas...don't worry though, I'm sure they used an American made computer to upload the shots.

Last edited by clarkbre; 11-04-13 at 09:10 AM.