Old 11-04-13, 10:49 AM
Still Pedaling

Bikes: Brompton and Dahon Curve D3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GoodShipRuffles
I use a Brompton daily for commuting. I've been using the fixed longer seatpost for the last year or so. Even so seat is lower than ideal. But then it's a folding bike! My tailor would say I have a 32" leg.

I've also started riding a road bike for triathlons. (Middle aged crisis etc) And I'm getting pain in a knee joint. It seems to be worse after riding the Brompton.

Now I reckon I'm riding the Brompton faster that I was and the lower than ideal seat height is to blame. Frequent starts with limited gears presumably don't help. What does the forum think?

Obviously I should get the telescopic pillar. But concerned it's more complication. And greater stress on the frame.
I suffered that same problem for years. The first thing you need to do is adjust your saddle height properly. While sitting on your saddle, place the center part of your foot on the pedal. Your leg should be fully extended -- comfortably, not stretched. If you can't set that, you will need to get a longer seat post. The Brompton has two lengths available. Secondly I would suggest using a supplement -- "Glucosamine & Chondroitin" combination. I suffered severely with knee pain in the right knee. Following a proper height setup with the saddle and taking that supplement work wonders for my knee. I have no problems at all anymore. Finally, while taking the supplement, don't over work your knee until it starts to feel better.

Cheers
Wayne