Old 11-05-13, 08:35 AM
PalmettoUpstate 
Verified Antique

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SirMike1983
The Ross is a low end bicycle you can flip without regret. You won't get much for it though.
I have a few Ross 3-speeds and they are good "beach" bikes; meaning we can ride them to the trail head at the edge of the dunes & leave 'em unlocked without fear that they'll "walk away" - which is sort of laughable when one considers that a 3-speed - ANY 3-speed - works famously in low-lying terrain such as DC, NYC, Charleston, or Myrtle Beach...
Originally Posted by SirMike1983

The other bicycle may actually be somewhat better than it lets on in that picture. I am having a hard time telling, but it may actually be a Hercules from right around the time Raleigh and Hercules merged. It looks like it has the pointed chainguard and a different chainring than the usual 1960's Hercules. That said, I'd need a better picture of the drive side to tell.
I went out to the corral & looked over a vintage Herc that is from what I can see all original. It has the "Jetsons" chain guard that you see in Sarah's pic but the fork crown is different. I'd agree that it is definitely one of the Raleigh "variants" but can't say exactly which from the pic either. My aforementioned Herc has got a Persons vinyl saddle on it. From what I've been able to glean, AMF brought in the Raleigh bikes nearly complete and then put a few parts from domestic mfrs. such as saddles & kickstands on them before shipping them out to retail vendors...