View Single Post
Old 11-06-13, 09:01 AM
Lieren

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Side visibility

What are you all's picks for side visibility? There are two issues I'm trying to solve:

1. There is a stop sign or traffic light on every corner of my 10 mile RT daily commute. Cars rolling through the stop signs and pedestrians wandering into the street is a constant issue. I would like to give those folks one more visual reminder (in addition to my head and tail lights) that I'm there.

2. More importantly, I take my kids to daycare in a trailer. I've covered the thing in reflective tape, but I'd like some active lighting on the sides of the trailer as well to increase the kids' visibility.

Last year I loaded up the bikes and trailer with these--http://www.niteize.com/product/SpokeLit.asp--but they had a 100% mortality rate (even if they were still functioning, they became so begrimed by Philly's streets that the light housing is now permanently a dark gray). They definitely worked well for stopping pedestrians and helped a lot at stop sign intersections. Both bike and trailer are parked outside so lights that are either very easy to remove and take with me or very difficult to remove and thus safe(r) on the bike/trailer all day would be preferred.