Old 11-06-13, 12:28 PM
thedudeabidz

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Specialized Stupjumper, KHS Flite 800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arsprod
There's a good winter riding thread, check it out. The rule of thumb I've followed is wicking base, warmth (if needed), windbreak. The big thing for me is managing sweat. If I'm wet and that layer gets cold I'm toast (or frozen as it were!). I never use cotton - if it gets wet it feels colder than the air. Key for me was finding a windbreak jacket that wicked moisture away (ended up with Foxwear). Like I said, lots of good info on winter thread.

Weirdly warm and wet 58F today with a ripping headwind. It's been steadily raining now so ride home will be... you guessed it... warm a wet!
Thanks. Didn't mean to threadjack. From what I've used and from what I've read, I really would like to get something that breathes, blocks wind and keeps me warm. Looking at the Foxwear now. Looks great.

Today's commute was great in Boston/Cambridge. A mild morning with little wind. Rode in shorts, no face mask and my light gloves. Hoping that this winter is mild. Last one was brutal and definitely not a good one for commuting.