Old 11-07-13, 07:59 PM
Cue
Banned.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BassNotBass
Honestly I was just wondering why you felt this way. In my eyes they have far more differences, each with their pros and cons, than commonalities that IMHO could "break the deal" either way. From what I see they differ in:
  • choice of frame metal
  • fold design
  • the D3 has height adjustable handlebars where as an M, P or H type Brommie allows for fore/aft adjustment
  • folding pedal design
  • the Brommie's frame incorporates a suspension rear
  • brake design (V vs double pivot caliper)
  • as you pointed out, wheel size (a concern when needing replacement tubes or tires... the 349 being not as readily available at all bike shops if you should need them NOW)

I'm sure there are plenty more but I think the differences I listed are enough points to ponder for the cyclist in the market to purchase either of the two (or of either ilk). And the fact that you chose the D3 over a Brompton and I chose a Brompton over a mid-hinge aluminum folder attests to the weight of these differences.
Frame metal is not relevant to me, I never fold the pedals so that's also not relevant, same with the rear suspension, so I could swing either way on both bikes, but I do like V brakes more, and the folding design of the Dahon more. Never really thought about the tire and tube availability but that's a valid point, I will make sure to order some so I don't have to get it at the lbs.